Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Virtuoso.

I've thought about it. I'll share the reviewed essay here. But I'll definitely remove this post later on.

Thank you Mr. AJ for reviewing my essay. Here goes.



VIRTUOSO
It was New Year’s Eve, hours away before the year 1998 came knocking on the door. The whole family was in the living room, watching a Michael Learns to Rock concert on TV. At the tender age of 4, I was fascinated with the band playing their instruments. I remembered blurting out to my parents about wanting to play the piano, the drums and the guitar when I grow up. All they did was smile at my antics and continued watching the concert. After that incident, I didn’t even brought up that matter ever again, thinking it was just an imagination.

Back then, I used to simply press the black and white keys on Grandad’s antique Baldwin piano with the idea that I’m playing songs like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and The Alphabet Song. I was actually impersonating Dad with his abilities to play the piano by ear; by which he did not need any music scores to be referred to.  There are also various kinds and sizes of keyboards at home.  At that age, I played with the kids’ version of a Casio keyboard.

One year later, after the Michael Learns to Rock concert and I was about to enroll into primary school, Mum told me that she had registered me for a piano class. It meant the whole world for a 6-ongoing-7 –year old.  After my first day in school, I was feeling excited that day because I was going for my first music class-ever! Mum drove me to class. On the way, I had butterflies in my stomach because I have zero idea on what to expect. A lot of questions ran through my mind. Who’s my teacher? Would he or she be a nice person? What will the color if the piano be? Will I get to play the piano like Dad in the future? And the list goes on and on.

            The moment we arrived in front of the music school, Mum informed me that’s the place where I’ll be attending music classes. All of a sudden, as if I saw a ghost, I felt scared and didn’t feel like going for music class. Mum consoled me and promised me that she’ll be around to wait for me until the class ended.  Subsequently, I felt better, thanked and gave a big hug.  The moment we entered the music center, the first thing I saw were the pianos. There were 4 of them. None of them looks like Grandad’s Baldwin. 3 of the pianos were Yamahas and the other one was Kawai. I laughed at the sight of that name, Kawai, as I never heard of it before. Not only that, there were two rows of guitar stands with different colors of guitars. Next to the main desk was this large shelf of music books. The sound of a lady’s voice brought me back to reality.  A Chinese lady, dressed in grey greeted us with a warm smile. She introduced herself and we shook hands. Her name was Madam Victoria. She showed me the room where I will be having my class. Turns out it was a middle-sized room, with white walls, a round table with 2 chairs and a black Kawai piano. Madam Victoria allowed me to play the piano then she talked to Mum. I just sat by the piano, not knowing what to do.

            Not long after that, another Chinese lady came into the room with 3 music books in her hand. Only then I found out that she was my music teacher. Her name was Miss Michelle. Before we started with the lesson, we got to know about each other a little. Then we started with the theory part of music. I was too absorbed with the new knowledge I acquired, I didn’t feel scared or nervous at all. After 30 minutes of basic music theory, my teacher invited me to play the piano. Without any hesitation, I accepted the invitation. Finally, after all this while, I get to play the piano the right way. I was happy to learn the music notes and the teacher even taught me how to play 2 simple songs. In the end, the 1-hour class ended. I absolutely forgot about Mum until I went out of the classroom and saw her and

Madam Victoria smiling at me. How glad I was to see Mum.  Before we left, I thanked both Madam Victoria and Miss Michelle and told them that I look forward to come again next week. On the way home, I told Mum about school and also the music class. I really had fun and told her that it was the best day ever.

             I am glad that I was determined enough to continue going for piano classes and up to this day, I am accredited with Grade 7 Piano. I am aware that I’m one grade away from obtaining full access to teach music to other people legally and I might continue to complete Grade 8 Piano after I graduate from college. I do hope and pray that I am able to live up my childhood dream. Being a quiet and shy kid, I did not tell any of my friends or fellow classmates about me attending music classes. I wasn’t ashamed or anything, it is just that I have been taught not to boast around and make others feel inferior.

All Copyrights reserved ©2012 ®: The writer, which is I.

So, how did it go? I welcome feedback and I highly appreciate them. Thank you for taking the time to read the essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment